Tuesday

Waimea Bay Pt 2







(Read yesterday's blog entry first)
Hawaii was so outstanding in 2005 that we could not resist the temptation to return exactly one year later in 2006. Walking through a cozy art shop in the North Shore town of Haleiwa, I was startled to find a 3 foot by 4 foot original oil on their wall titled "Waimea Bay Breakers" by an artist named Lynne Boyer. I was thunderstruck. Could this be the painting from the mysterious artist I watched in 2005? I studied it intently, but could not be sure. When I arrived home, I Googled the artist, and sent her an email and even linked the photos of her that I took on the beach a year before. Her reply: Yes, that was me, and that was Waimea Bay Breakers! She asked if I had stayed around long enough that day to see the wind whip up and throw the painting off the easel and into the sand. The painting has real Waimea Bay sand in it. We spoke several times by telephone, and Lynne, who grew up on Oahu, has a true peaceful and happy island spirit. Turns out that Lynne Boyer is not only an exceptional artist, but she is also a retired championship professional surfer. In 1978 and 1979, she was the #1 female surfer in the world. I felt a kindred spirit to this painting--of my favorite beach no less--and purchased the original from Lynne and had it shipped to the states. It now graces my bedroom wall, with photos of the artist at work framed beneath it; each day I think of Hawaii when the morning light comes into my window onto this painting. Mahalo, Lynne.

1 comment:

Glennis said...

Wonderful story. We spent a couple weeks on the North Shore of Kauai, at a little place beyond Hanalei, close to the beach at the end of the road.

What a wonderful place.

Very unlike cold Illinois - or even California with a winter storm blowing in.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails