Tuesday

Tinkers By Paul Harding

My note tonight to Massachusetts debut novelist Paul Harding, on his Amazon webpage, regarding my experience with (the first half) of his Pulitzer Prize winning novel, Tinkers. 


"Paul--as a Massachusetts native myself, I can relate to Tinkers, and I can honestly say, I think you've written the type of book that will age like Bordeaux wine, and an appreciation of what you've written, particularly as the Baby Boomers approach the age of your protagonist, will grow over the years. It's a deep read. I love the way the book meanders. How it moves back and forth through time, but never forced, it's never contrived. George's recollection of his past family experiences, especially with his father Howard, provides rich hints of how he has become himself through his heritage. And now, dying in the family homestead living room, with grandchildren and children around, he's hollow. Yearning for the past. Waxing and waning in and out of consciousness, you've captured the ebbing of memory, the tides running out as the hours of George's life recede. Frankly, I am 50% of the way through it now, but am so riveted by your use of language, I just had to look you up on Amazon and type out this message. Great work. A masterwork, really. I suppose I should reserve my comments until the end, huh; sure sure, it could have a real dud of a finale. But I'm thinking it won't, Paul. From one Yankee to another, you've hit a homer here. Like Jim Rice and Fred Lynn in 1975, their rookie year, you've hit the long ball in your debut effort with Tinkers. Coolkayaker1"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my site, and thanks for the review. I heard the teaser for the Pulitzer Prize story on NPR, but missed the actual report, so didn't hear about this book. I'm going to look for it on GoodReads right now.

BTW, I'm not that far from you-I'm in the south suburb of Homewood. I know a few people at the UU church in town (mostly teenagers-I'm a youth advisor)

Coolkayaker1 said...

Cool beans,Heather!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails