Wednesday

Voyageur Landing to Algonquin Sunday 9/6/09


Paddling maven Bruce in his Valley Aquanuat and me in my Valley sectional will launch from Voyageur Landing Forest Preserve in Elgin, IL on 9/6 at 0900; arrive slightly before that time, for a nice upstream paddle to Carpentersville Dam (the goal, anyhow). This is the Fox River. The Carpentersville Dam is portageable, so I read, and then it's off to Algonquin if we are hearty. I think it's 8 miles north of Elgin; Buffalo Park, a nice take-out stop, is only 7 miles north--likely a place we'll turn around. All depends on 'feel".


We will then turn around and head back to put-in. Not a feverish pace, just keep on moving and making progress. Maybe get some lunch riverside in Carpentersville if there's a taco joint there or something.

http://tinyurl.com/ngx2hy


The link above is for http://www.bing.com/ and click maps. Voyageurs Landing is just north of Jane Addmas Tollway, I-90, in Elgin. Click on Bird'seye View if you want to get a real good feel for things.


Read and pics at Stop 1 in this link:






The forecast at this time is to be about 59F at launch, and 75F high. Ideal. If there's pelting rain (unlikely), we won't go and you'll know because I will post on Pnet by 0700 Sunday. I will link this info on Paddling.net for any Chicagoland paddlers that wish to go, and perhaps on CASKA Forum.


Central Illinoisians are heading to Emiquon... which sounds delightful. LittleRed informs me by email that the evil, cash-box toting border patrol officer at Evergreen is off duty now, and that is a definite future paddle this autumn for this hombre. This Labor Day weekend I will be in Chicagoland, however.


That's the ticket. Happy Labor Day y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great paddle Son and a lot of well deserved recreation for you. I believe river kayaking is so much more interesting than lakes. Have Fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails